Thursday, April 8, 2010

El Nopal of Seymour, Indiana - A Review

El Nopal, a mexican restaurant in Seymour, Indiana
The newest restaurant in Seymour is El Nopal, a mexican restaurant located near the new Goodwill off of Tipton Street. It was my husband idea to go which is a big deal because he typically doesn't enjoy mexican cuisine all that much. There are several around town and we don't frequent any of them. El Nopal is a chain restaurant as in there are many El Nopal's to be found in the surrounding areas, especially closer to Louisville. We had been to another El Nopal in the Sellersburg / New Albany area and really enjoyed it. I have read that this El Nopal is a sub-sidiary of the Louisville and other southern Indiana locations. We definitely weren't disappointed in the experience at the Seymour location.

The first thing I noticed was how friendly and professional the staff was. It made me smile when the gentlemen who took our order kept calling me seniorita :) I don't know why. It was just cute. My 6 year old has decided it's time for him to start ordering for himself so I was relieved when the waiter addressed him personally and asked for his drink order. That was nice to make the young ones feel special.

The menu is varied and full of choices. I wished I had a listing of what some of the things were like a chile relleno or a chalupa. I figured a chalupa at Taco Bell probably wasn't the same as their chalupa at El Nopal. Hunter decided he just wanted to eat some of my food and that fine with me. My husband ordered a shrimp quesadilla ($11.99) and I had a combo meal with a taco, burrito, and chalupa which was only $7.99! The waiter was very good about explaining what everything was. I was right! Their chalupa is a flat corn tortilla topped with beans and other item like lettuce and guacamole. I wanted to try it anyway. They served us warm chips and two different types of salsas in the cutest little pourable serving glasses. You could mix and match the salsa in your bowls. We also ordered the cheese dip for the chips ($3.99) and I think it ended up being my favorite part of the meal. You have to try it!

Our dinner arrived and the portions were huge. We both really enjoyed our meals as a whole. But I personally did not care for the chalupa. It seemed bland but in fairness I ordered it without guacamole. The burrito had a delicious red sauce and the meat was seasoned perfectly. Aside from the cheese dip, the burrito was my favorite. My husband scarfed down the shrimp quesadilla and said nothing but good things when he wasn't chewing. The waiter kept the refills coming and even brought me a drink in a to go cup without my asking for it. Now that was impressive. Overall, a big thumbs up!

Tip: You pay up front at the cash register instead of at the table. They will bring you a bill and some mints. (I love the chocolate mint.) Then just head up to the front.

El Nopal Mexican Cuisine

1863 East Tipton Street, Seymour, IN 47274.
(812) 523-3399

Hours

Mon-Fri 11am -10pm
Sat 12pm-10:30pm
Sun 12pm-9pm


See more information on menu and pricing at http://www.elnopalmex.com/index.html Menu and specials may vary!

2 comments:

  1. chilli rellano is a stuffed bell pepper -good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh...well darn that sounds good! May be have to try that next time! Thanks Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete