Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Kensington Tea Room of Seymour Indiana - A Review




Kensington Tea Room & Butlers Pantry Coffee Shoppe


My mom called me today and was feeling a little down so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to pamper her a bit by taking her out to the Kensington Tea Room for a nice lunch and tea. The owners of the beautiful restored 1880 Victorian home located at 403 S Chestnut St. in Seymour have made some rooms open to the public by offering the Kensington Tea Room and the Butler’s Pantry Coffee Shoppe. We visited the tea room today but will be back soon to try out the coffee shoppe.
The Kensington Chicken Salad Sandwich with Garden Salad
Bacon, brie, and cranberry panini with spinach salad.

Kimm Mitchell and her favorite tea pot :)
The home is absolutely gorgeous.  The beauty of the maple woodwork and charming visual presentation of the seating area with tables covered in white linen, fine china, and fresh flowers is quite stunning. My mom whispered “Can we afford to be here?” and I just laughed. This was my first visit but I had already been told by a few friends that it is quite affordable and not to let the white linen scare me. We were warmly greeted by staff member Kimm Mitchell who seated us and took our orders. My mom ordered a chicken salad sandwich, garden salad, and hot tea. I ordered the bacon, brie, and cranberry Panini with a spinach salad.

Hot Apple Spice Tea from Kensington Tea Room in Seymour
The food was just wonderful. It was unique and delicious. I never would have thought cranberries and bacon would go together but it surely did. Kimm said the chicken salad was one of the most popular items and after a bite of my mom’s sandwich I knew why. Scrumptious! She said it was made with chicken, curry, apricot jam, mayonnaise, and raisins. The spinach salad was tossed with craisins, pecans, cheese, and was served with a tasty balsamic vinaigrette. We also enjoyed sharing a dessert called Death by Chocolate which was a firm mousse molded in a cute flower shape and topped with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle.  Kimm also mentioned that Kensington has teamed up with Grandma Carols to offer a selection of pies. You might remember Grandma Carols from downtown Seymour. They are no longer there but the pies are now available through the Tea Room! I will be trying the sugar cream pie next time ;) Hot apple spice tea topped off our meal perfectly.We had a wonderful time.


The cost for our sandwich and salad was $7.50 each and dessert was $3.00. The total was just $22 plus tax and gratuity, a tremendous value. I recommend visiting between 11am-2pm for lunch through the week and making reservations for large groups.  (By the way, they also offer children’s plates if you have kids along.) You can order food after 2 pm but will most likely be seated in the coffee shoppe. For more information, please call 812-523-1300. Ask Kimm about high tea service, catering, and private parties.  

2 comments:

  1. Always wondered what this place was like. Ill definatly check it out next time I am in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and thanks for reading Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete