Friday, April 16, 2010

I guess Rok-Sey Arena is still Rolling! Let's Go Roller Skate!

Rok-Sey Skating Rink Today
I was taking some pictures for the blog and drove past Rok-Sey to snap a few. For some reason, I thought that Rok-Sey had been closed for awhile. I remember hearing they were hit hard by the flood in 2008 and never heard they re-opened. Or if I did, it didn't register. My sons are ages 6 and 13 and while taking pics I started thinking about the good ole' Rok-Sey days. How fun it would be to take them skating like my parents took me. I don't think my 6 year old has ever been! That's just not right. So, I called the number on the door and found out that they still have open skating from 6pm-10pm on Friday and Saturday night! We will be going soon! And did you know that Rok-Sey was owned by John Mellencamp's Grandpa, Speck Mellencamp, for many years? I knew that Rok-Sey was in one of his music videos but I had no idea it was in his family. By the way, Do any of you have any memories from Rok-Sey? I know I do! Here is one...

My Rok-Sey Memory:

Rok-Sey Skating Rink as I remember it in my youth
I remember fondly all the Friday nights skating at Rok-Sey Roller Skating Arena. Mom took me several times when I was younger and all I would do is hang on the rail all the way around. After a few weeks, I was brave enough to let go. Then, I was hooked. The music, the lights, the wind in my hair - I loved it all! I was so excited when my Grandma bought me my own cute lil' pair of skates at age 12. They came in this cool red suitcase-type thing. I lived at the skating rink every weekend. By 13, the main reason I went to the skating rink was to see who I would get asked to skate the couples song with. I would put on my cutest outfit, tease my bangs into a neat little birds nest (as my Dad called it) and smear on my favorite purple eye shadow. I think it was the early 90's...lol My Dad would drive me to the skating rink and it always felt like the longest drive. I will never forget the butterflies that would erupt as we got closer and closer to the bridge. I was able to go by myself so Dad just dropped me off. I would meet up with some of my best friends once inside. I usually went round and round with my friends several times scoping out the cute boys, then we would take a break and sit at the counter to order one of those square little pizzas. We did the hokey-pokey, we danced the electric slide in the corner, and we checked our make-up in the bathroom. When the time came for couples skate, I remember once being asked to skate by a much older (and very cute) boy. I think he was 17. I was thrilled! I was on cloud nine for about 4 minutes as we held hands and skated round and round. Afterwards, we sat on the long benches and he put his arm around me. I was so nervous that I was shaking! I find this funny looking back, but at that time, my perfect night was about to be ruined. The boy kissed me...and tried to slip a little tongue in there...and I FREAKED out. I pulled back and was like "What the heck are you doing!" Oh my gosh. I was mortified. He was embarrassed. Needless to say, we never skated couples skate together again.    

If you have a Rok-Sey memory, please share! Then, check out the history of Rok-Sey at http://www.rok-sey.com/Rok-Sey%20History.htm

(Photo credit for older photo goes to rok-sey.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment